Monday 1 August 2011

Tony and the Magic Watering-Can

Hello,

Yes, I have been scouring my local charity shops again and as usual the second hand shops of South London have come up trumps!

I found this little gem from 1978 written by Harold Shampan and illustrated by Clayton Hoyle and Peter Edwards:



This book is obviously pre the wonderful Adobe packages and therefore no text wrapping or writing on a path.  However despite (or perhaps because of this) it has been really creatively designed and the words and images play happily together on the same page instead of following the 'text on left, image on the right' format that lots of books of this period followed.

I have scanned in a couple of examples for your perusal, apologies for the cropping- my scanner isn't very large!.  Also check out all that lovely psychedelic artwork and crazy colour palette, I think kids books could do with an injection of madness again!

 



Right, I'm off to water the flowers!

Laura x

3 comments:

  1. I performed on keyboards at the launch in Selfridges London, and performed one of the songs from the book, having written more two or three songs for it myself. The song we performed was called "Every little thing" - not sure who the writers were. Harold (our song publisher) was there autographing copies of it. Still have one or two of the originals myself. Always wondered what might have happened had the book made it big. Always fancied putting this to music and bringing out an album on the book a la Harry Nilsson/The point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I had a picture of that do in Slelfridges. My brother dave was inside a big tomato or red pepper.

      Delete
  2. Harold was our manager at champagne music , he was a decent man

    ReplyDelete